Wednesday 17 December 2014

An introduction to how I coach

The following are key features#
  1. You will train for 3-5 days a week, of which you will do 2-3 runs a week with a group*. The two key runs will be a speed workout and a tempo run. For those who have already run in the past and are looking at improving timings, I may have a 3rd run every week.
  2. You will get a customized training plan in line with your capabilities (to be assessed using a time trial) and supervision of your training sessions.
  3. You will get feedback as needed both at the key runs and at the end of the week.
  4. We will set a mutually agreed target in line with your capabilities and performance for the final race/run.
* You will run on your own on the other days. You are welcome to join me on other days too since I run on 6 days of the week and sometimes all 7 days, but the locations/timings on those days will be at my discretion on the other days.

If you are vegetarian, I can also help you on planning your diet based on my experience. We could examine your diet even if you aren't, but since I am not non-vegetarian myself, I have little experiential advice to dole out.

If you are interested please fill up
the questionnaire at http://goo.gl/forms/pvjT3ALQFP  which I use to have discussions with potential trainees. It helps me avoid asking standard questions and focus on specific queries of yours when we talk. It also helps me not miss obvious queries at the beginning. I don't coach people for <12 weeks since I believe it isn't enough time to make significant changes to one's performances in less than that duration.

Once you have done that, we will talk and work out specifics like locations, timings, fees, etc. In case you are outside Bangalore and want to be coached remotely (Yes, there is such a thing. Even some elite athletes train like that) wherein I design a custom-training plan, track you on a daily basis, have weekly discussions on the phone or Skype, etc, mail me and we shall work something out.

Also, read this and this to get an idea of how I coach remotely.

About me:
I am 36 years old (as of Dec 2014, the time of writing this post ). I used to work as a manager in a premier Management Consulting firm until 3 years ago. I just found running more enjoyable and quit my job to become a full-time coach. I have been running for over 13 years now. I had no running history before 2001. For that matter, nobody in my family has ever played any sport with any competence. I used to be a plump kid for a while. Then I just grew up to become a fat adult. I just decided to change this one fine day. So I know what it is to train as an ordinary person who has no sporting history. I have run 17 marathons and run a half marathon almost once a week (sometimes two). I started with a half marathon in 2 hours 34 minutes in 2004 and a full marathon in 2005 (in 5 hours 4 minutes) with little training or even an idea on how to train. I just ran them on a whim. So I began training since I thought I could improve with training. As recently as in 2009, I ran 10K in 47 minutes and 51 seconds.

 
However I ran without a coach till January 2011. My best marathon till then was in 4 hours.
In 2011, I found an amazing coach and trained under him in the US. I ran 2 half marathons in about 1 hour 30 minutes each and a full marathon in just 3 hours 10 minutes, qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

 
I would love to show you what you can do with targeted training. 

 
I love to run. It has changed my life. It could change yours too.

  
One of my trainees who is Singapore based, came up with interesting names for my coaching options - remote and on location in Bangalore. He calls the remote model (email/telephone based) as the "Ekalavya" model and the on-location one as "Arjuna" model. I have loved the terms enough to quickly appropriate them

# I have posted this in some form on my personal blog in the past

No comments:

Post a Comment